Croker Sack

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." — Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Senator McCain Spoke and Students Listened

Since there is no mention in the New York Times article of hecklers or others who wished to make spectacles of themselves, it appears that students at the Liberty University graduation ceremony were respectful of the speaker and the others in attendance:

At Falwell's University, McCain Defends Iraq War
Published: May 14, 2006
LYNCHBURG, Va., May 13 — With the Rev. Jerry Falwell at his side, Senator John McCain offered a spirited defense of the Iraq war on Saturday, telling graduating students at Liberty University that victory there was crucial to world security.
###
"If an American feels the decision was unwise, then they should state their opposition and argue for another course — it is your right and obligation," Mr. McCain said, adding, "But I ask that you consider the possibility that I, too, am trying to meet my responsibilities, to follow my conscience, to do my duty as best as I can, as God has given me light to see that duty."
###
"I stand that ground not to chase vainglorious dreams of empire; not for a noxious sense of racial superiority over a subject people; not for cheap oil," he said. "I stand that ground because I believed, rightly or wrongly, that my country's interests and values required it."


As the reporter noted, things probably won't be the same come Friday:

Mr. McCain is also the scheduled speaker at the graduation on Friday at the New School in New York. He intends to deliver the same remarks, his aides said, with the expectation that they may draw a less-than-enthusiastic reaction there, given that school's liberal nature. His planned appearance has caused an uproar among students and faculty because of his conservative positions on issues like Iraq.

I suppose McCain knows it. He did include in his remarks a request that dissenters at least consider that he honestly believes in the position he has taken -- so it's clear that he knows the ossified mind of the barking moonbat.

3 Comments:

Blogger cc said...

My favorite part of the commencement exercises at New School was when Bob Kerrey accused the protesters of "heckling from the audience where no bravery is required."

Graduates at New School Heckle Speech by McCain

These students and professors, that heckled John McCain and Bob Kerrey, have no idea what the meaning of civility is.

May 20, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Micajah said...

I think my favorite part of the NYT article (Thanks for the link -- I had forgotten to look and see how things went at "The New School.") was this statement by Ms. Rohe:
She continued, "Senator McCain will also tell us about his strong-headed self-assuredness in his youth, which prevented him from hearing the ideas of others, and in so doing he will imply that those of us who are young are too naïve to have valid opinions.

Surrounded by barking moonbats throughout her college years (if not her entire life), I suppose she should be forgiven for being completely unable to get the point.

Her characterization of Sen. McCain's point is a "straw man" -- the only kind she's capable of knocking over.

It's obvious to me that McCain wanted the brats of "The New School" to engage in a little bit of humble introspection and consider the fact that they may not know everything.

It's not that they are too naive to have valid opinions: It's that they are so inexperienced, ignorant, and headstrong that their opinions will often be wrong -- especially since they refuse to consider the opinions of those who disagree with their dogma.

May 20, 2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger cc said...

My thoughts exactly... "The brats."
In our house, we have many lively political debates. My eldest daughter, 26, is a liberal and my younger two, 24 and 17, are ultra-conservative. Thank goodness they know that only civil healthy debate is allowed. I am appalled by the intolerance some of their friends have for differing opinions. I can only imagine what will happen when they step out into the real world, and have to work with someone that has a different outlook on politics.

May 21, 2006 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home