902 ballots unlawfully cast at the polls (and counted) in King County
Having now typed the information on the King County reconciliation summary into a spreadsheet, I can see a few odd things about their summary.
- King County's summary didn’t print the column and row labels, so it wasn’t previously apparent that they had only included 531 of the claimed 540 polling places. Once I saw the numbers for each of the lines in the spreadsheet, I could readily see that there weren't 540 polling places listed in the King County reconciliation. (I don’t yet know if they simply didn’t have as many polling places as they have claimed, or if they have omitted 9 of them from their summary of their ballot reconciliation effort.)
- There appear to have been two different groups of precincts using one polling place. Sherwood Forest School appears twice on page 67 of the summary, but it’s not a duplicate entry since there are clearly two distinctly different groups of precincts listed as using that school. Apparently, there were two different polling sites in that one building, unless there is a typographical error in their summary. (I had mistakenly skipped the second entry for Sherwood Forest School in my first time through, and didn’t catch it until I proofread my spreadsheet to see if there really were several polling places missing. That error on my part explains some of the differences in the numbers posted in this entry compared to this earlier entry.)
- By presenting in their summary the net of positive and negative numbers in their “Adjusted #” column, they had represented the total of adjustments to account for provisional ballots inserted into the AccuVote machines as 660. But, that should have been a total of 664 adjustments to account for “no label” provisional ballots that were unlawfully inserted into the AccuVote machines, and 4 single-ballot adjustments to account for times when there was a shortage of ballots in the boxes compared to people credited with voting. They had represented the 4 single-ballot adjustments as negative ones, so the net in their summary was 660.
The totals now appear to be:
- 300 of the 348 previously reported provisional ballots inserted into AccuVote machines (“PBAV”) were included in the 660 (net) stated in the “Adjusted #” column;
- 34 of the 348 previously reported PBAVs were not included in the 660 (net) “Adjusted #” column; (I know: 300+34 doesn't equal the 346 that I came up with. I need to figure out why the formulas I used didn't produce two numbers that add up to 346.)
- 352 provisional ballots were inserted into AccuVote machines (reluctantly and begrudgingly reported by King County elections officials on March 11) and weren’t included in the initially reported 348.
- That totals at least 686 (and perhaps 698) provisional ballots which were unlawfully inserted into AccuVote machines on November 2, 2004 (a fact which was known to Dean Logan and his motley crew since before the initial certification of King County’s election returns on November 17).